Tuesday, August 7, 2012

South African Pastor arrested for murdering nine year old girl

Monde Tokwe of Eden Church, together with his wife Nolufefe, Fundisile Sidumo and traditional healer Vusi Mofokeng, have been charged with the murder of Yonela Sikweyiya in 2010.
Sikweyiya's body was found in a veld in Brackensdowns, Ekurhuleni. All four accused have different lawyers.

Investigating officer Captain Happy Vilankulu of the Hawks told the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court that Tokwe, 48, began telling them of the devil's powers as soon as they arrived at his house in Mandela Park informal settlement near Katlehong.

"My informer told me that he knew the people who were responsible for the death of the little girl," Vilankulu said.

"He took me to Mandela Park, to a house which belongs to accused number 1 and 2 [Tokwe and his wife]. We knocked on the door and accused number 1 opened the door. I then told him that I had come to arrest him in connection with the Sikweyiya murder case. As I was explaining his rights to him, he said 'Satan is powerful'."

Vilankulu said Tokwe's wife was arrested at the same time.

Asked by prosecutor Sifiso Khumalo what Tokwe meant by that, Vilankulu said he had no idea. He said further that, without any questioning from the police, Tokwe then told the police that he knew what had happened to Sikweyiya.

"I was still a warrant officer at the time and so I handed the suspect to Captain Mthembu, who had accompanied me," Vilankulu said.

He told the court that he travelled great distance s to arrest the other two suspects, Sidumo and Mofokeng.

"Accused 1 then told me where to find accused 3 and we drove with him [Tokwe] to Mthatha as I was not familiar with the place.

"When we arrived, he pointed him out to us but because it was late, we booked him in at the Mthatha police station and drove back with him the following day."

The next stop for Vilankulu and his team of forensic experts was KwaZulu-Natal.
"Accused 1 and 2 also implicated accused 4 [Mofokeng] and we drove with accused 1 to Newcastle where he pointed him out to us.

"When we arrived, we found him throwing bones and consulting with a woman. I read him his rights before arresting him and he was cooperative," Vilankulu said.

During cross-examination by Tokwe's defence attorney Gundo Lidovho, Vilankulu said he had not only relied on information from his informer.

"I had already received statements from witnesses who saw the child going into the accused's house.
"In such a case, we do not just go and arrest somebody, we investigate first.
"So, in this matter, we sat down and from our own investigations and what my informer told me, we felt that we had a strong case."

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2012/08/07/arrested-pastor-took-cops-to-other-accused-in-girl-s-killing

No comments: