Sunday, March 11, 2012

Kenyan Televangelist arrested for murdering girlfriend

A televangelist has been arrested over the murder of his girlfriend in Nairobi’s Dagoretti area.

Police are holding Pastor Paul Ng’ang’a Wanjiru of Wells of Faith Church and his son James Mutua over the murder of the woman who was identified as Caroline Chinjira, an employee of Panafric Hotel.

The two are accused of strangling Chinjira along the Southern by-pass in Lang’ata area on Friday night before she died on Saturday while undergoing treatment.

Chinjira was four months pregnant, which according to the family and police was the source of the conflict with the suspects.

She also had a son belonging to the pastor.

She had been strangled on her neck and died out of profuse bleeding at the Kenyatta National Hospital.

And when the news of the arrest of the pastor broke out on Sunday, his followers descended on his church in Kawangware area and demolished it in anger.

The drama started on Friday night at the by-pass as she, and the suspects drove to drop her home.

Apparently, according to police the pastor and his son had planned to commit the offence. And on reaching at the road, the son started to strangle the woman using a wire as she seated on the co-driver’s seat while his father drove at a slow pace.

The site of the incident is usually quiet at night and is taken to be a den of crime as many people have been attacked there in the past.

And as the struggle continued, Chinjira managed to overpower the son and sneak out of the move car and dashed into darkness as they allegedly pursued her.

She told police before she died she ran on foot up to Ngong Road near Lenana School where she found a Securicor car and sought help from them.

"She had sought help from other motorists using the road in vain. It forced her to walk to near Lenana School where she got help from the guards," said Lang’ata OCPD Rono Bunei.

She narrated her story to the guards informing them what she had gone through before they drove back to the scene where she said the attack happened.

The guards drove with the deceased to the scene where she said she had been attacked and found the pastor and the son still there.

No comments: