Interfaith marriage is something that's frowned upon in Islam, even though under strict conditions Muslim men can take specific Christian or Jewish wives. It's not often heard of. Some people ask why it's allowed, to whom is it allowed and so forth. Firstly it should be noted that MUSLIMS SHOULD TRY TO ONLY MARRY MUSLIMS if they want a successsful hereafter.
This was a response that I made from last year using references from Muslim sites and notable scholars. I just pieced it all together basically. Anyways it was part of a rebuttal to a Christian site. Now after I'm done explaing this interfaith marriage, I'd like that ministry to whom I'm responding to, to take a look about interfaith marriage in Christianity (I've emailed them). Like they said Islam allows men to marry Christian and Jewish women, yet at the same time what does the Bible say? Anyways here it is:
[5:5] Today, all good food is made lawful for you. The food of the people of the scripture is lawful for you, [and your food is lawful for them]. Also, you may marry the chaste women among the believers, as well as the chaste women among the followers of previous scripture, provided you pay them their due dowries. You shall maintain chastity, not committing adultery, nor taking secret lovers. Anyone who rejects faith, all his work will be in vain, and in the Hereafter he will be with the losers
The reason Islam allows men to marry Christian or Jewish women is because:
1) They have to be CHASTE (and what percentage of Christian or Jewish women do we find today that are virgins? No offence or disrespect to Christian or Jewish women who are chaste, or plan on being chaste until marriage). Numerous reports, like Buzzle, showed 95% of Americans had premarital sex. AND 25-30 percent of teen girls have HIV.
(A small note, permissble for marriage are also divorced or widowed Christian and Jewish women.)
Being chaste means also not being immoral in any way. Bilal Philips, a renowned scholar and former Christian has said that many Muslim men in Asia where Muslim countries are swamped with westernization (like Pakistan) get the idea of a Christian or Jewish woman being blond haired and blue eyed with the perfect body. That is AGAINST what Islam says. The sheikh also said these men go to bars and nightclubs to find these women. How disgusting? It should be noted that Christian scholars are outright fine with nightclubs and bars, even nude pageants (like Carrie Prejean who got praise from Christian groups for defending her nude pics with the Bible). These women are OFF LIMITS TO MUSLIM MALES.
2) The children of the interfaith couple will have to grow up Muslim so the wife has no choice but to convert (since her knoweledge will rub off onto her kids as they grow).
3) Islam tells to tolerate and repect Christian and Jewish faiths. They have rights and freedoms which Islam grants. These women can find life better with a Muslim husband.
4) Theres many Christian women specifically, that are living in dangerous area's of the world. For example the Democratic Republic of Congo has the highest rape rate in the world. In Uganda and Kenya, women are burned for being 'witches'. The LRA, a Christian terror group often target women and kidnap them. Marrying these women saves them from oppression, and we all know what Islam says about helping those who are oppressed (4:15, 5:8, 16:90, 4:58, 4:105, 6:115, 6:152 57:25). This could also be said for Christian women in Pakistan and India where they're frequently assaulted from so called 'Muslims' and 'Hindu's'. Another example is war torn places like Palestine and Iraq. There's some Christian women who lost their husbands and have a hard time feeding their kids. They might end up as prostitutes so their children might have a chance to live and go to school. Marrying them takes care of the finances, food, clothing and shelter.
5) Fiqh Law has stated that marrying Christian and Jewish women from the West is not Islamic (reasons are above).
6) Every scholar agree's marrying a Muslim woman is the BEST. The Prophet Muhammed pbuh said the best woman is the one who's most religious. I've personally heard and I'm sure many of you have as well that Muslim men can only marry a Christian or a Jew if no Muslim woman can be found. This seems quite correct and tends to agree with what's above.
7) This type of marriage is ONLY RECOGNIZABLE BY ISLAMIC LAW (i.e Sharia Courts)
8) Sheikh Bilal Philips has said that cults and movements in Christianity do not count. That removes several sects of the faith off the list and with that includes tens of millions of Christian women not allowed for marriage.
Mufti Ikram in response to my question wrote that is it PERMISSIBLE, not mandatory or recommended to marry Christian or Jewish women: http://www.askamufti.com/Answers/ViewQuestion.aspx?QuestionId=1201&CategoryId=23&CategoryName=Nikah
9) We obviously are told to follow the entire Quran. Throughout the Quran and hadith we're told away to stay away from anything that can shake our faith. There's special dua's for this. A Christian or Jewish woman who will cause men to be distracted from Islam is not allowed for marriage.
10) EVERY SINGLE WOMAN in ARAB LANDS WORE HIJAB!!!!! Yes, ALL CHRISTIAN AND JEWISH women wore this from the time of the Prophet to the end of the 19 century. So obviously this verse was not revealed so Muslim men can go choose any non-Muslim woman who showed their hair and beauty.
11) In my community, I've counted 19 interfaith marriages. 15 by men and 4 by women. They all have kids now. And I can tell you that these kids do not know what faith they belong to and many already consider themselves atheist. Its really sad because now several generations of Islam is lost. Obviously the Muslim men ignored the rules and restrictions about marrying non-Muslim women.
The reason women can't marry non-muslim men is quite understandable and simple:
1) I'm a guy and you don't want to know what their definition of hygiene is. Islam tells us all about cleanliness. Women in general are more thoughtful about sanitation than men (though their standards don't meet up to the Muslim females).
2)In the Christian and Jewish scriptures, women are told to remain at home and have no authority over men. Plus they have to "submit" to their husbands commands and call them Lord (ephesians 5:22-24, 1 Peter 3:6 and several other verses). Women are told to serve their husbands while in Islam it is the opposite.
3)In christianity, women are not allowed to divorce and are stuck with their husbands for life. If the husband dies she is suppose to marry anyone of his brothers. This isn't true in Islam.
4)Women in Christianity and Judaism are exempt from inheritance (if brother's exist), and all decision making. Which again is contradictory to the Quran.
5)Since jewish and christian scriptures place men as the master's of their houses, the children will grow up with his religion and his commands of how to be raised. A wife cannot object to his wishes, which yet again contradicts Islam.
For more info and further explanation, see our other blog, christianwomenwatch.blogspot.com and on the side we have a bunch of verses on women and their condition under Christian Law.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7boA3baF2dg (This is the video by Bilal Philips)
Ok so thats for Islam, now what about Chrisianity? The site called "Got Questions" that said it is forbidden for Christians to date non-Christians (so dating in modern Christianity could be equivalent to marriage). They gave verse 2 Corinthians 6:14-15.
"Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said, 'I will dwell in them and walk among them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate,' says the Lord. 'And do not touch what is unclean; And I will welcome you. And I will be a Father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to Me,' Says the Lord Almighty." (2 Corinthians 6:14-18).
Just stretched the passage a bit. It was orginally noted on a serperate post by my partner about this verse:
A) We non-Christians are "darkness" B)We non-Christians are "Belial" meaning wicked, low-life, inferior and worthless C) We non-Christians are "unclean".
Wow Christianity really is a religion of love
So Got Questions said Christans can't marry infidels (thats a Christian word btw).
Another verse reads:
Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives,
(1 Peter 3:1)
One thing to note here it's kind of a coincidence the verse says women can take non-Christian husbands. So them marrying Muslim men is no problem. And nowhere in the Bible does it say men can take non-Christian wives (in the OT it does, but thats through rape and not consent).
That being said, there's an easy to see contradiction in another verse:
1 Corinthians 7:39- A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord.
So Pasor George Saig, what do you think of interfaith marriage in Christianity? It seems to allow/disallow women to marry non-Christians, yet at the same time a verse forbids Christians in general to interact with non-Christians?